In a servant leadership role within the region, this position is responsible for consulting and coaching activities that will assist the franchise owners in maximizing sales, profits, and transactions, while complying with all PMI operating standards and procedures to build and maintain Five Star Stores. Manages all service related activities for assigned franchise owners or assigned company stores within the Papa Murphy’s system. All activities must be committed to protecting the Papa Murphy’s brand, positive EBITDA contributions, excellent customer service and training.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Consult with assigned franchise owners or company stores as the subject matter expert on all matters pertaining to the successful operation of a Papa Murphy’s. Thoroughly knowledgeable on the specifications, requirements and procedures as outlined in the Operations Manual. Knowledgeable regarding the health laws and guidelines and how they apply to the Papa Murphy’s system.
- Consults with franchise owners on a regular basis regarding sales trends and other developments within their respective organizations. Effectively communicates all relevant PMI initiatives to franchise owners, and also communicates franchise owner feedback to the appropriate PMI personnel.
- Conducts an Annual Business Review Meeting with each assigned franchise owner. Focus is on store operations, sales trends, store level and overall organization financial performance. Results of past marketing efforts, future marketing plans, people development, and progress towards agreed upon goals are also topics of discussion during the review. When applicable, approve assigned franchise owners for future expansion.
- Insure all assigned franchise owners participate in the CRM program to improve overall operations and store performance. Reviews CRM reports for assigned stores and reviews with Franchise owners as needed to determine store level opportunities for improvement. Work with DMA leadership to find root causes for poor performance and determine actions steps for improvement.
- Coordinates existing store transfers with Development Department. Utilizes the Buyer/Seller checklist to facilitate a smooth transaction.
- Meets with prospective franchise owners to review their qualifications and interviews the prospect to approve or reject them as capable of becoming a successful Papa Murphy’s franchise owner. Does so without making any sales projections or potential earnings claims. Works closely with the PMI Development Department during this process.
- Works with PMI Legal and Franchise Sales departments to understand all applicable rules and regulations and adheres to them while conducting conversations with potential franchise owners.
- Understands basics of construction/remodel processes and monitors development in their assigned areas using the New Store Opening Manual as a guide. Reviews the 13 week New Store Opening Checklist each week with a new franchise owner until their store opens.
- Manages new franchise owner training schedule and communicates accordingly. Insures all documentation and proper sign-offs are sent to the Training Department in the Corporate Office.
- On site with New Store Openings, Grand Openings and store transfers to new and existing owners. Interfaces with the Marketing Department to coordinate store advertising and marketing activities. Responsible for coordinating activities surrounding new store openings and grand openings. Works shoulder to shoulder with new franchise owners to ensure that the franchise owner is properly trained to run operations to PMI standards and to handle the guest volume generated by the grand opening plan.
- In coordination with the Field Marketing Director, facilitates DMA Business Meetings along with other PMI Departments as required and DMA franchise leadership. Meeting agendas will support current business initiatives and help franchise owners implement agreed upon advertising programs in their stores. A review of operations and development issues that pertain to the DMA, upcoming quarterly roll outs and new product introductions may also be agenda items.
- Conducts Take-N-Teach training sessions for franchise owners and/or their managers using the “Training in a Box” delivery system. Consults with each franchise owner to insure that each store has a trained and PMI certified Owner/Operator, Store Manager and Shift Supervisor(s) on staff. Works closely with Training Department for certification of PMI staff as classroom trainers.
- Conducts a minimum of one QSC report per assigned store per year, with additional QSCs or other reports and visits to be performed as dictated by store performance. Utilizes available management tools to evaluate and improve store performance as needed: QSC Reports, Peak Period Reports, CRM, Safety and Security Checklist, Phone Surveys, Customer Comments etc.
- Takes a leadership role in implementing improvement plans in SWAT markets, Priority Action Plan markets and New Store Low Volume Store Programs as directed by RVP.
- Provides leadership, training and a mentor role for new operations employees, regardless of regional alignment.
- Works closely with the RVP during the strategic planning and budgeting process to determine the direction of the region.
- Provides leadership and participation in cross functional teams as well as the Company Store Division.
Job Complexity and Scope
- Applies expert subject matter knowledge to manage staff activities in solving most complex business/technical issues within established policies.
- Acts as a key advisor to senior management on the development of overall policies and long-term goals of the organization.
- Plans, directs and monitors high-end operational/tactical activities of Staff. Staff members' primary focus is on either high-end tactical or broad strategic issues or a combination of both.
- Establishes operational objectives and work plans. Participates with senior management team to establish strategic plans and objectives for the company.
- Involved in developing, modifying and executing company policies that affect immediate operations and may also have company-wide effect.
- Works on complex issues where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth knowledge of the company.
- Implements strategic policies when selecting methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
- Participates in corporate and system wide development of methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for projects, policies, programs, and people.
This position requires at least a college degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
10+ years related experience in a QSR environment.
ServSafe® certification required.
Requirements for this position:
- Exhibit a strong sense of initiative and the ability to work unsupervised, remain organized and productive.
- The ability to present complex information to franchise owners and managers.
- A working knowledge and understanding of Papa Murphy’s store level operations to effectively assist in the store environment.
- Strong knowledge of financial feasibility analysis models, strong understanding of P&L/balance sheet and the ability to utilize the information to influence behavior of franchise owners or company store employees.
- Hands-on manager with integrity and a desire to work in a dynamic environment. Must have the ability to interface and maintain excellent professional relationships with a variety of audiences to include franchise partners, vendor partners, real estate brokers, legal resources and various internal support functions.
- A collaborative and flexible style, with a strong servant leadership mentality.
- An energetic, forward-thinking, and creative individual with high ethical standards.
- A well-organized and self-directed individual with good judgment and a strong operational focus.
- Knowledgeable of food borne illness and its causes.
- Must be able to travel, by air and car, for business purposes. Travel can be over 50%.
- Demonstrated and highly developed interpersonal skills, with ability to confidently interface with, establish and maintain positive relationships with all levels of the organization including but not limited to: Members of the Board, senior and support staff, franchisees, vendors, staff and customers by exhibiting excellent communication and collaborative skills.
- Ability to think strategically, innovatively and pragmatically with the ability to balance planning with execution using exceptional organizational skills, and strong follow-through.
- Energetic, forward thinking and creative individual with high ethical standards.
- Strong leadership skills to work effectively with other company leaders at both a strategic and tactical level.
- Strong project management experience with ability to maintain control of numerous projects and extensive details of complex project information.
- Requires strong analytical problem solving skills
- Advanced computer skills including ability to operate desktop computers, mobile computing devices and printers as well as keen knowledge and use of productivity software including the ability to maneuver in and utilize the internet as a resource.
Life, AD&D, & Long Term Disability
Paid vacations (10 days accrued first year), and holidays
Paid Sick Days (5/yr)
Flexible Spending Account/Section 125
401(k) with company match
Laptop and Smartphone